Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chiles Galore


Mr. S. and I took a day trip yesterday to Hatch, New Mexico, the Chile Capital of the World. This weekend is their annual Chile Festival, but we decided to go a day early to beat the crowds.

On our way there, we saw hundreds of sunflowers growing wild along the road. I saw this one all by its lonesome so I took a picture:

Once we got to Hatch, we stopped here first:





Check out the red chiles drying on the roof!  As we drove through town, I just had to take pictures of some of the neat things we passed by:


















And of course, the NM State Bird, the roadrunner, was there too:

Here is where we got our chiles from:




Check out the beautiful colors of the different types of chiles.








I bought one of these chile ristras to hang by my front door.  Here are a couple of the ladies making some:

And here is the girl roasting our chiles in the big roaster they have:

Our truck smelled wonderful all the way home from the smell of the freshly roasted chiles. Tonight I will be making Navajo Tacos for dinner using some of the chiles we purchased.  What a great trip, and a good start to the long weekend. Hope you and yours have a happy, safe weekend too!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I have never seen anything like it before.
    Drying on the roof too. what a site to see.. thankyou so much for sharing your day out.
    PS.. do you have the recipe for your Navajo Tacos?
    It sounds really hot LOL.. :))Pat in tas :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment; I love to hear from you. I will reply directly to your comment right here on my blog.