Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another No-Sew Project

I've been searching for projects that I can use with my Fat Quarters of fabric, and came across this one today. My mouse pad had seen better days, so I decided to make one. It took maybe 10 or 15 minutes to do and was so easy!

Here is what I did:  Using my old mouse pad as a template, I cut out the shape on a piece of cork.  I then used the piece of cork as a template and traced the shape onto the paper backed side of some double-sided fusible web (I used Heat n Bond Lite as that is what I had on hand) 


After choosing a fat quarter, I fused the web to the fabric, making sure the right side of the fabric was facing down and the fusible web was paper side up. I then cut the shape from the fused piece of fabric.

After letting it cool for a few minutes, I removed the paper backing and placed the piece of fabric right side up on the cork. I then took it back over to the iron and fused it to the cork. It was kind of a strange feeling ironing something on to cork, but it worked! A few of the edges did not fuse real well, so I just used some of my Tacky Glue on those edges.

After I was done, I decided I was not too fond of the plain rectangular shape, so I grabbed a small plate from the kitchen and traced around the corners. I cut off those pieces, which resulted in this:

Here is the finished project:


A nice, new mouse pad in one of my favorite colors, lime green! I bought a package of cork tiles at Jo-Anns (for around $5), so I can make several more of these. I'm thinking that with the leftover pieces of cork I might make some coasters too.

I did not finish my Dad's lapghan today, but I am working on the border, so it should be finished later tonight.  We are taking him out to dinner on Saturday, so it has to be finished by then. I'll keep ya posted.

3 comments:

  1. How very pretty. Nice to have something so bright, cheerful and fun at your fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!I keep saying you need to start selling your cute items!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! If you like, come see the link party on my blog and add something you've made. It's a great way to inspire others and to get inspired (-:
    Bye!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment; I love to hear from you. I will reply directly to your comment right here on my blog.