Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Quick Little Project

I thought I would share with you a quick project I made today. Remember the disaster with my dishwasher from last month? Well, Mr. S. finally fixed all the damage and installed the new dishwasher.... which I am absolutely loving, by the way. Much more efficient (and quieter) than the last one.

Anyway, I decided I needed one of those "Dishes are Clean / Dishes are Dirty" signs because I get really tired of having to tell Mr. S. whether or not the dishes are clean! I searched around the web but didn't find anything I liked, so I decided to make it myself.

I started with a template I found here. I printed off the signs onto plain paper. I did not have any magnet sheets, but I did have some small round magnets from another craft project. So rather than make it one reversible magnet, I ended up having to make two.

I needed something to attach the signs to, and then I remembered that in my fat quarters there is always a piece of cardboard. I took the cardboard out of two fat quarters and they were the perfect size:





I took some craft glue and glued the signs to the cardboard, making cuts as needed: 
After that, I simply attached two magnets to the back of each sign with the same glue. 
An hour or so later the glue was dry and they were ready to hang. Whichever sign I'm not using is going to hang on the side of my refrigerator, which is within easy reach, and I can easily swap them out as needed.
And there you are, problem solved! Mr. S. will be thrilled that I didn't have to go out and spend any money either... ha ha!

Edited to add:  I went back later and laminated both signs too!

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! It looks so nice on the black cover of your dishwasher. Having signs really helps make life easier in a multi person household. Great job!

    Thanks for visiting me on my blog and don't worry about missing my Birthday. I don't know when everyone's Birthday is unless they tell me and I'm sure I've missed many. It's just nice to have friends who care.

    Have a nice day :-)
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you are a Gemini too - when is your Birthday, Sandy, or did I miss it already?

    I think I'm going to start keeping a little booklet for myself with everyone's Birthday in it - except for the year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh this is a good idea. Pity I haven't got a dishwasher!
    Amazing what you can do yourself isn't it?
    Hugs and thanks for popping over to day! and for your comments,
    Love Suex

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment; I love to hear from you. I will reply directly to your comment right here on my blog.